Monday, November 29, 2010

Prayer

Over the past couple of years, I have been struggling with prayer. It never seems that I can settle down and pray for a long period (or even a short period) of time without my mind wondering to something else. Before I know it, I am lost in thought that does not even resemble what I was praying about in the first place. Today, I was reading ahead in a book for next semester's spiritual formation class called The Life You've Always Wanted. I was just reading the chapter on prayer when I came across the following words: "It may well be that when your mind wanders, it is wandering to what your heart most needs to speak with God about". That was when I realized that I was not praying rightly. I have been praying about the things that I think that I should be praying about. C.S. Lewis said that in prayer we must "lay before Him what is in us, not what ought to be in us". My prayer life has just been revolutionized!

No comments:

Post a Comment