Saturday, September 11, 2010

Nine Years

I was ten years old on September 11, 2001. When we heard that the towers had been hit, we were glued to the TV for the next several days. I suppose I did not fully understand what was going on, I just remember thinking that I was no longer safe. Even though I live in a small town that isn't even on some maps, for the first time in my life, I understood the meaning of mortality.

September 11, 2001 is the day that made me who I am today. It is the reason I decided to study international relations and foreign policy. Even though I know the world will always have dangers, I know that I have to do something to try and make it a safer place. I know that I have to do something. I don't like to sit on the side line and wait for something to happen. I will not.

This is who I am, nine years from that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment