Saturday, July 31, 2010

A New Experience!

Word of the day: Alacrity-eager and enthusiastic willingness

First off, I must say that I would never work in a call center full-time with anything remotely resembling alacrity!

That being said, today I had the great--and exciting--experience volunteering for a candidate who is running for state senate down here in North Carolina. Our task today was conducting a phone survey that targeted unaffiliated and independent voters. There were eight of us sitting in front of high tech phones designed especially for the purpose of surveying and polling; they looked much more complicated than they turned out to be (thank heaven!). At first I was extremely nervous--talking to strangers all day is not my first choice for a fun weekend activity--but then I started to get the hang of things.

After about two hours, I was a robot; I didn't even have to think about what I was doing. After four hours, my mind was so numb that I thought I would pass out, but I got through it with my sanity in tact. At the end of the five hours, the eight of us combined had made over two-thousand calls!

Over all it was a great experience, and the best part about it was the sharing of funny statements that were made by the people we were calling. Here are some of my favorites:

- (In an EXTREMELY deep North Carolinian accent) "If this is gunna be some kinda politikin' I don't have time for it"

-Question: "Is this [name]?" Answer: "Not right now"

-Question: "Do you have time to answer a few questions for a survey?" Answer: "With what kind of slant on it?"

-Question: "If the election were today, would you vote for [our guy] or [not our guy]?" Answer: "I would rather vote for a blind bat with a cane than send [not our guy] back to Raleigh!"

-"I don't speak English"

Yes, working at a call center would be mind numbing as a full-time job, but working the phones for a few hours every now and then for a good cause can be a hilarious pastime!

4 comments:

  1. How does one acquire a job at a call center?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have no clue. but we have one up the road from us and they always have a hiring sign out. i think that after my experience working on the campaign, i know exactly why they always have it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's interesting! I don't think I'd mind working at a call center to make extra cash.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isabel Marant (dsf2012.4.11)
    Isabel Marant Pumps
    There’s one thing unbelievably confident concerning Isabel Marant and also the girl cosmetic you could shut the face to see your ex together with the girl just-rolled-out-of-bed head of hair and also small make-up together with palms inside the storage compartments regarding slim slacks, strutting concerning nonchalantly. That’s the particular frame of mind which includes offered solution to any fervent Marant fanbase.
    The lady furthermore have any knack regarding converting the particular naff directly into fresh, or perhaps at least renewed since the lady produced inside over a American frontier concept in which triggered padded yoked tops, slim slacks together with gaucho curl styles and also cowboy boot styles. The lady worked well components of Tiny Residence around the Prairie directly into Edwardian wide lace attire and also everyday tops. Laser-cut buckskin and also studded little attire developed the particular more difficult plus more attractive parts inside the assortment.
    Nonetheless, the particular silhouette scarcely wavered coming from the girl thoroughly tested cropped slim trouser, the particular nestled inside top and also pointy pushes and a dropping of the quilted outdoor jackets and also satin bombers. Marant receives apart together with basically transforming the theme due to the fact she’s properly alert to just what the girl lady would like coming from a great Isabel Marant little bit of garments. Almost everything must appear to be there was clearly small energy involved in an collection, which explains why Marant didn’t make an effort to resolve a thing that plainly wasn’t busted.
    Isabel Marant Sneakers

    ReplyDelete