Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Being Productive

Word of the day: Accretion-growth, increase by successive addition, building up.

I find myself completely taken aback as I look over what I have accomplished over the past three weeks of summer vacation, not because I have done great things but because I have done nothing. I was so very stressed out after I finished my summer courses (Statistics and Intro to Government) that I have literally been laying around all day long letting the rest of the world go by.

I am one of those people who always has big plans for her summer. This year, for example, I was planning to get through the first level of Russian, start studying for the GRE, and read a whole list of fiction and non-fiction books. As of right now, I have only gotten through three of the thirty lessons in Russian, studied thirteen of the who-knows-how-many GRE vocabulary words, and finished only one novel. I still need to finish Atlas Shrugged, both volumes of The Gulag Archipelago, and the third book in the Sword of Truth series (Blood of the Fold).

I am determined to right the wrongs of the past three weeks and get through my books, keep up with my vocab, and try to get to lesson twenty in Russian before the start of the fall semester. I will also start my reading for "Contemporary Global Problems" which, by the way, looks completely interesting.

My bad habits must end now before the start of the new term. I cannot be in reactionary mode for the entire year. I will be responsible with my time. However, I will not try to make everything change at once, but the change will come by a steady accretion.

God give me strength!

3 comments:

  1. I agree...after going through the stress of school, I can't wait for summer to come! It really is amazing, though, what we can accomplish just by setting goals for ourselves! I'll be praying that we all have strength throughout the new school year :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I love when school is out, but after about three weeks I cant wait to go back!! Three more weeks to go!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah, summer went by fast! I like to say that summer is a state of mind...I'm California dreamin' all yeat long :)

    ReplyDelete